The YA fantasy ones




It was only by the end of June 2020 - almost 6 months after buying - that I managed to read The Cruel Prince (and its sequels in the series - The Wicked King and The Queen of Nothing). If you check this picture a little closely, it will be fairly obvious why. Two kids at home during lockdown are not conducive to reading hard copies no matter how well-intentioned the reader. It doesn't help that the opening of the book first doesn't identify a protagonist and then meanders for another 30 pages of the usual young adult worries. We never truly empathize with the family dynamics of a goblin 'father' figure, indeterminate step-mother and step-sibling, twin human sisters with their oldest fairy sister. 
Except till we do.
Once the coronation happens (much reminiscent of the Red Wedding!), the pace finally picks up. What follows is a rollicking ride of faerie politics, spying and sexcapades (calling all the hot and heavy scenes romantic would be just sad). Of course, that means more fun for a 'mature' reader like me. I don't care anymore for teenage angst and drama - I want a good read. And I get it in spades. I read the sequels in e-book form over the subsequent nights and bore the sleeplessness with equanimity. The ending is also well-crafted - it ties up all the loose ends but leaves enough scope for the author to expand the universe, if she must. I look forward to it, I really do. 

Comments

Popular Posts