Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Double Take

I saw a movie the other day - 13 going on 30 - and apart from liking the movie (chick-flick timepass) I also loved something a character said.

When asked by her daughter if she would like to change anything she did wrong she says
I know I made a lot of mistakes...but I don't regret making any of them. Because if I hadn't have made them, I wouldn't have learned how to make things right.

I've made so many mistakes in my life.. things I regret so much.. things I look back upon and wish I could have done differently.. In fact if I made a list it would probably run into pages and pages..

I regret I didn't fight to save some friendships, I regret I was so difficult to approach, I regret I didn't try hard enough, I regret I settled and compromised, I regret I avoided a problem instead of tackling it head on, I regret some friends I made and I regret some friends I didn't make, I regret I didn't hang in there, I regret I failed, I regret the choices I made, I regret I was talked into something I didn't feel was right, I regret being party to a lynch-mob, I regret not making time for something I believe in, I regret wasting so much time..

But what I perhaps regret the most is not doing what the smart lady in the movie did.. not making things right.. I've tried but I don't think I've tried enough.. I think its worse making a mistake when you realise later that you didn't fix it and no amount of justification (I didn't have time, they didn't listen, they wouldnt have believed me anyway, I can't act that way) makes it better..

So I think I'm going to go with something else I found..
Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.

3 comments:

  1. Mulling over yesterday or what happened 10 years ago (maybe)takes away so much of the present. As you say, we learn something from our experiences - good or bad. But when will I learn to let go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience."
    I think if we can live by it, it's great. But it's hard not to regret what we did in the past, IMO. I did something unthinkable to a friend and I regret it very much now. I keep hoping one day I would meet that friend againg and set things right. But may be regret is a good thing... it prevents us from committing the same mistake again.

    Good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuthing teaches you better than your own experience, that is why I think we do things we know are bad, but we realize the things are bad when we are affected by it.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete