The comfort read



As the movie headline goes, there's something about Becky. I got on the band-wagon of the so-called chick lit fairly late (don't even get me started on the moniker!), preferring Regency romances and their ilk. But from the time I first read the Shopaholic series, I was hooked. Even today, when a new book comes out, I make it a point to read it - though it must be said that the recent installments lack the snappy pace, focused plot and emotional depth (oh yes, you may feel a slight dampening of the eyes at the HEA!/) 
So I was quite happy to take a break from my usual reads to dive into a re-reading of one of my favorite Shopaholic books - Shopaholic Ties the Knot. Becky is planning her wedding and having a whale of a time figuring out the wedding industry. As usual, things get out of hand and she needs to fix things in her unique way. If one ignores the inherent classism in the books, it covers a lot of territory - how to balance family plans with selfish wedding dreams, the fraught relationship between estranged parent and adult child and of course, how a wedding is not about the marriage at all. 


Comments

Popular Posts