The thriller book



I'm not much of a fan of thrillers. Not to say that I don't enjoy a good one but it's not the genre that I read when I have time to spare.

The premise of this book is simple enough. A young writer lets out her gorgeous Hill top house (and it sounds incredible by the way) on Airbnb while on a retreat and now it seems she's gained a stalker. The typical cliches of writers block, divorce and cheating spouses clash with the home alone vibe but the author pulls it off. Hard to concentrate on a book with kids around but the tension pulls you in. And so many red herrings, I'm surprised the book didn't smell!

The family dynamics of the writer frame the story well and the relationship between the two sisters was intriguing. The #metoo red herring could have been avoided as per me simply because there were enough suspects in the book. The author deftly balances out each person's motives and we've all read enough Gone Girl to distrust even the heroine. The twist when it comes seems inevitable but only towards the end and only because I'm an awful awful person at heart. The ending of the book is wonderful and much better than the twist itself.

All in all, a good, racy read which makes me a lot more excited about the pile of hard copies I am accumulating afresh in Oman.  

Comments

Popular Posts